George Galey, founder of American Estates Wines, started doing business in 1986, as a selector and broker in the Northeastern states, of single vineyard California wines; therefore our namesake. In 1987 (quite a milestone to still be here 30+ years later), he incorporated AEW, and extended his selections to Austral Asia: Australia and New Zealand. He then reached across South America to Uruguay maintaining the single vineyard and small estate theme.
- AEW is now the longest standing importer of New Zealand wines into the US.
- Our wines are now available in some 36 states, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
- The Wine Advocate has listed AEW as one of the top specialty importers in the US.
- In New York and New Jersey, its home market, it direct distributes most of its imported wines, and sells a top selection of California and Oregon Estates.
- In celebration of our 30th year, we re-branded our import company: Austral Estates Wines, to better emphasize our specialty in Southern Hemisphere selections.